The Australian Tour Guides’ Code of Conduct
As a member of the PTGAA I promise to demonstrate the Australian Tour Guides’ Code of Conduct in all my actions and encourage its implementation across the industry through interactions with tourism businesses, organisations’ and other Tour Guides.
I agree to abide by the Australian Tour Guides’ Code of Conduct and will:
1. Provide a professional service to visitors – ensuring they are treated with respect, care and a commitment to best practice guiding. Provide objective and fair interpretations of the places visited.
2. Make every effort to present true and accurate facts, and ensuring that a clear distinction is made between stories, legends, traditions and opinions.
3. Act honestly, fairly and professionally in all dealings with those who engage my services and with all colleagues within the tourism industry.
4. Educate visitors on the need to be respectful of our precious natural, cultural and heritage environments, minimising our footprint and impacts at all times.
5. As a representative of Australia, I will welcome all visitors, and act in such a way as to bring credit to the country and to the promotion of it as a tourist destination.
6. Regularly update and upgrade my guiding skills and knowledge through training, professional development and networking activities.
7. Declare to customers any relevant personal commercial interests, including commissions. I agree to not engage in forced visitor purchases or soliciting of tips.
8. Be mindful at all times of my duty of care and other health and safety issues.
9. Provide all goods and services as is presented in the job brief, itinerary and promotional materials.
10. Abide by all national, state and territory legislation governing the operation and conduct of tours, tour operators and tour guides.
11. As required for PTGAA guides, to establish my own complaint handling procedures.
12. Inform my clients that the PTGAA has a Complaints Handling Policy covering grievances or other issues with professional tour guides.
13. Continually maintain a valid Certificate II in First Aid & CPR, as a pre-requisite for guiding. First Aid course renewal to be completed every 2 years.
14. At all times hold a current *Certificate of Currency for Indemnity insurance to the value of $10 mill. (Unless working in a permanent part-time/full time job only, where employer provides insurance cover for guide.)
* A special low cost insurance deal is available as an incentive for all Guides of Australia (GoA) accredited guides.
To Print & Sign the Code of Conduct: CLICK HERE
Please ensure you have read our Categories of Membership