We warmly welcome new members.
We provide ongoing networking and job opportunities for tour guides and those people who work in allied industries thanks to our member links and contacts within the tourism industry.
The TGA offers members the following benefits:
- Intermediate membership for new or inexperienced guides which includes mentoring for one year.
- Experienced guides gain their National accreditation as part of their Professional Tour Guide membership. Guiding Organisations Australia Inc accreditation is the highest level accreditation for tour guides in Australia.
- Austrade’s ADS accreditation can be applied for by Chinese-speaking guides who are Professional Members of the TGA and work with inbound Chinese tour groups
- A personal TGA photo ID card to wear when working which identifies you as a tour guide – increasingly important in today’s security-conscious world
- A personal magnetic name badge
- Access to discounted public liability and professional indemnity insurance
- Your own profile on the TGA website’s “Find a Guide” section for professional exposure and job opportunities.
- Additional job opportunities through the members’ only Jobs Board and the members’ only Facebook page
- Career Resources in the members’ only section of the TGA website
- Technical resources in the members’ only section of the TGA website
- Toursapalooza, our member e-bulletin, which features professional development, opportunities, and industry news
- Access to benefits through the TGA’s membership of other organisations (eg VTIC,TTNQ , RHSV etc)
- Annual professional development program (seminars and workshops)
- Ongoing attraction/venue familiarisation opportunities
- Professional networking opportunities
- Opportunities to participate in tourism industry events
- TGA ID will gain you to access many tourist venues free-of-charge for self-directed famils
- Voting rights – As a member ,you are eligible to vote at AGM and become involved in your industry association.
To check which level of membership is right for you, have a look at the Categories of Membership
To become a Professional, Corporate or Intermediate member of the TGA please follow these steps:
1. Submit the online membership form
2. Provide proof that you can be employed in Australia. This could be one of:
- An Australian or New Zealand passport or
- A certificate of Australian citizenship or
- An Australian or New Zealand Birth Certificate or
- A certificate of Australian permanent residency or
- An Australian visa which outlines any working conditions and a copy of your date stamp of entry into Australia in your passport.
3. Be assessed by one of our team of Australia-wide assessors who have a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. Assessment currently costs $75. Have a look at the kit which explains the assessment process. Download the very comprehensive kit which explains all you need to know.
4. To read and agree to abide by the Australian Tour Guides Code of Conduct
5. To have a current Certificate II in First Aid & CPR;
6. To have current professional indemnity and public liability (for minimum $10mill) insurance as a tour guide (The TGA can offer the best deal on insurance. The annual premium for 2021 TBA early in 2021. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need cover in the interim.
7. To pay annual membership renewal fees which for 2021 will be:
- Professional membership $200
- Intermediate membership $230 (incl. assessment fee)
- Corporate/Industry membership $500
To become a Student Member of the TGA please follow these 3 steps:
- Provide proof that you are currently enrolled in a tour guiding course at a registered training organisation in Australia.
- Fill out the on-line membership form and submit it.
- Pay annual membership fees which are currently:
- Student Membership $40
The TGA’s membership year runs from January to December and membership for new applications is calculated on a pro-rata basis in their first year. After that membership renewals are invoiced at the end of each year for the following year’s membership.
Are you ready to start? Simply complete and submit this TGA online application form.