The PTGAA warmly welcomes new members.
We provide ongoing networking and job opportunities for tour guides and those people who work in allied industries thanks to our member links and contacts within the tourism industry.
The PTGAA offers members the following benefits:
Intermediate membership for new or inexperienced guides which includes mentoring for one year.
Experienced guides gain their GoA accreditation as part of their Professional Tour Guide membership. Guiding Organisations Australia Inc accreditation is the highest level accreditation for tour guides in Australia.
Austrade’s ADS accreditation can be applied for by Chinese-speaking guides who are Professional members of the PTGAA and work with inbound Chinese tour groups
A personal PTGAA photo ID card to wear when working which identifies you as a tour guide – increasingly important in today’s security-conscious world
A personal magnetic name badge
Your own profile on the PTGAA website’s “Find a Guide” section for professional exposure and job opportunities.
Additional job opportunities through the members’ only Jobs Board and the members’ only Facebook page
Career resources in the members’ only section of the PTGAA website
Technical resources in the members’ only section of the PTGAA website
Toursapalooza, a fortnightly ebulletin, which features professional development, opportunities and industry news
Access to benefits through the PTGAA’s membership of other organisations (eg VTIC, Destination Melbourne, RHSV etc)
Annual professional development program (seminars and workshops)
Ongoing attraction / venue familiarisation opportunities
Professional networking opportunities
Opportunities to participate in tourism industry events
PTGAA ID will allow you to access many tourist venues free-of-charge for self-directed famils
Voting rights – become involved in your industry association.
To check which level of membership is right for you, have a look at the Categories of Membership
To become a Professional, Corporate or Intermediate member of the PTGAA you need to follow these 7 steps:
1. Submit the on-line membership form
2. Provide proof that you can be employed in Australia. This could be one of:
- An Australian or New Zealand passport or
- A certificate of Australian citizenship or
- An Australian or New Zealand Birth Certificate or
- A certificate of Australian permanent residency or
- An Australian visa which outlines any working conditions and a copy of your date stamp of entry into Australia in your passport.
3. Be assessed by one of our team of Australia-wide assessors who have a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. Assessment currently costs $75 and there is a kit which explains the assessment process. Download the very comprehensive kit which explains all you need to know about the assessment process.
4. To read and agree to abide by the Australian Tour Guides Code of Conduct
5. To have a current Certificate II in First Aid & CPR;
6. To have current professional indemnity and public liability (for $10mill) insurance as a tour guide (If you do not have insurance, the PTGAA can offer the best deal on insurance. The annual premium is currently $350 or just $290 if approved for GoA accreditation);
7. To pay annual membership fees which are currently:
- Professional membership $165
- Intermediate membership $120
- Distance membership $105
- Corporate membership $250
To become a Student member of the PTGAA you need to follow these 3 steps:
Provide proof that you are currently enrolled in a tour guiding course at a registered training organisation in Australia.
Fill out the on-line membership form and submit it.
Pay annual membership fees which are currently:
Student Membership $40
To become an Industry member of the PTGAA you need to follow these 2 steps:
- Fill out the on-line membership form and submit it
- Pay annual membership fees which are currently:
- Individual membership $120
- Organisation membership $500
The PTGAA’s membership year runs from January to December and membership for new applications is calculated on a pro rata basis in their first year. After that membership renewals are invoiced at the end of each year for the following year’s membership.
Once all the above steps are completed you will be welcomed warmly as a member of the PTGAA.
Are you ready to start? Simply complete and submit this PTGAA online application form.