The PTGAA warmly welcomes new members.
We provide ongoing networking and job opportunities for tour guides thanks to our member links and contacts within the tourism industry.
The PTGAA offers guides the following benefits:
- Affiliate membership for new or inexperienced guides which includes mentoring for one year
- Experienced guides can apply for GoA accreditation which is included with their Professional Tour Guide membership. Guiding Organisations Australia Inc accreditation is the highest level accreditation for tour guides in Australia
- Austrade’s ADS accreditation can be applied for by Chinese-speaking guides who are members of the PTGAA and work with inbound Chinese tour groups
- A personal PTGAA photo ID card to wear when working which identifies you as a tour guide – increasingly important in today’s security-conscious world
- A personal magnetic name badge
- Access to the most favourable discounted public liability and professional indemnity insurance
- Your own profile on the PTGAA website’s “Find a Guide” section for professional exposure and job opportunities
- Additional job opportunities through the members’ only Jobs Board and the members’ only Facebook page
- Career resources in the members’ only section of the PTGAA website
- Technical resources in the members’ only section of the PTGAA website
- Quarterly Newsletter (QN) which reports on all PTGAA matters
- Toursapalooza, a fortnightly ebulletin, which features professional development, opportunities and industry news
- Access to benefits through the PTGAA’s membership of other organisations (eg VTIC, Destination Melbourne, RHSV etc)
- Annual professional development program (seminars and workshops)
- Ongoing attraction / venue familiarisation opportunities
- Professional networking opportunities
- Opportunities to participate in tourism industry events
- PTGAA ID will allow you to access many tourist venues free-of-charge for self-directed famils
- Voting rights – become involved in your industry association.
To check which level of membership is right for you, have a look at the Categories of Membership
To become a Professional, Distance, Affiliate or Site member of the PTGAA you need to follow these 6 steps:
1. Provide proof that you can be employed in Australia. This could be one of:
- An Australian or New Zealand passport or
- A certificate of Australian citizenship or
- An Australian or New Zealand Birth Certificate or
- A certificate of Australian permanent residency or
- An Australian visa which outlines any working conditions and a copy of your date stamp of entry into Australia in your passport.
2. Be assessed by one of our team of Australia-wide assessors who have a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. Assessment currently costs $75 and there is a comprehensive kit which explains the assessment process. Download the very comprehensive kit which explains all you need to know about the assessment process.
3. To read and agree to abide by the Australian Tour Guides Code of Conduct
4. To have a current Certificate II in First Aid & CPR;
5. To have current Professional indemnity and public liability (for $10mill) insurance as a tour guide (If you do not have insurance, the PTGAA can offer the best deal on insurance. The annual premium is currently $350 or just $290 if approved for GoA accreditation);
6. To pay annual membership fees which are currently:
- Professional Membership $165
- Affiliate Membership $105
- Distance Membership $105
- Distance Affiliate Membership $45
- Site Membership $60
To become a Student member of the PTGAA you need to follow these 2 steps:
1. Provide proof that you are currently enrolled in a tour guiding course at a registered training organisation in Australia.
2. Pay annual membership fees which are currently:
- Student Membership $20
The PTGAA’s membership year runs from January to December and membership for new applications is calculated on a pro rata basis in their first year. After that membership renewals are invoiced at the end of each year for the following year’s membership.
Once all the above steps are completed you will be welcomed warmly as a member of the PTGAA.
Are you ready to start? Simply complete and submit this PTGAA online application form.