To become a full member of the PTGAA you need to be able to work in Australia. This means that you will need one of:
- an Australian or NZ passport
- or a Permanent Resident or Citizenship certificate
- or a current visa which allows you to work in Australia
If you have the ability to work in Australia you should then complete the PTGAA on-line application form (or print out the form and send it to us) and provide us with a copy of the relevant documentation listed above.
Once your application is received, you will be assigned an assessor who arranges a mutually suitable time for your assessment. Please carefully read this kit which provides you with all the information you need about this assessment process.
After your assessment, the assessor will make a recommendation to the PTGAA committee and, if successful, we contact you again for the final steps of the membership process. You will be advised what type of membership you have been assigned – see the different types of membership here.
At this stage you will need to:
- either provide documentation that you have sufficient public liability and professional indemnity insurance or you will need to purchase the necessary insurance through the PTGAA.
- provide the PTGAA with proof that you have current First Aid training
- pay your pro-rata membership fee (our membership year runs Jan to Dec)
Once all 3 steps above has been completed, you will be welcomed into the PTGAA and provided with your PTGAA ID badge and access to the Members’ Only section of our website. You can then build your profile for the Find-A-Guide section and access all the other membership benefits.
Once your PTGAA membership is complete, if you are a Chinese speaker, you can then apply for ADS accreditation through Austrade.
When you apply for membership of the PTGAA, if you are assessed as being sufficiently experienced and knowledgeable, you will also be accredited through Guides of Australia (GoA) which is the highest level of accreditation for tour guides in Australia.